In 1986 we had one phone, one truck, one mussel boat, and a home on the docks. We also had a few core ideas:
- To deliver the freshest live shellfish every day
- To always guarantee everything we sell
- To bring innovations to the shellfish industry
- To always work in an atmosphere of respect, trust, and anima mundi (Thomas Moore’s concept of living a soulful ecology, which Howell Raines defines as "the oceanic common memory of mankind")
- And to have fun doing it.
Today we are one of the largest producers of mussels in North America, and we’ve integrated oysters and clams into our harvests. Additionally, we have strategic alliances with independent shellfish farmers, who focus on growing and leave the marketing to us. We specialize in authentic brands of Restaurant Ready® live shellfish.
Our satisfied customers, the variety of our live shellfish, our Restaurant Ready® process, and our daily shipments are the hallmarks of our success. We are here to help you with all of your shellfish needs.
Restaurant Ready Advantage
The Restaurant Ready® label is reserved for a special family of shellfish brands. These shellfish are grown in remote locations and brought to market following a stringent post-harvest quality-control process developed by American Mussel Harvesters, Inc. (AMH).
Restaurant Ready® brands provide that elusive high-quality, high-flavor profile product option that lowers food costs with better yields and less preparation time…guaranteed!
We harvest our Restaurant Ready® mussels, oysters and clams from the remote farm sites when weather permits. Then we bring them immediately to our processing facility on the western shore of Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island and place them into the Restaurant Ready® seawater system at the facility.
Consider the alternative – the traditional business model. In that distribution model, quality and value deteriorate an average 12 to 15% every 24 hours:
- Shellfish are harvested from remote locations when the weather and tides permit.
- After harvest, they are trucked or flown to distributors, restaurants, and retailers under refrigeration. On average it takes two days from harvest to arrival in the cooler of a distributor in a major city.
- Add another two days on average in the distributor’s cooler
- Then add another two days at the restaurant or retailer.
What you realize is that most people in the United States eat shellfish that are at the end of their shelf life!
In the Restaurant Ready® process we hold our shellfish in a custom-designed, controlled seawater environment to optimize their wholesomeness. In that environment:
- Seawater is sterilized to minimize the bacteria levels of shellfish.
- Seawater is refrigerated to slow the metabolic rates of the shellfish.
- The salinity, pH, oxygen levels, and current of the seawater are regulated to allow the animals to clear themselves of grit and bacteria.
- Shellfish are harvested to order, packed, and shipped for delivery every day.
- This process ensures a fresh and flavorful shellfish-dining experience.
Our processing plant is strategically located on the western shore of Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, enabling overnight delivery to all major cities in North America.
For quality, freshness, and taste, our post-harvest, cold-water, wet handling of shellfish beats the industry-standard method of holding shellfish in dry coolers or in cages in remote locations. Compare what you will be able to offer your customers through American Mussel Harvesters, Inc. and what they will be able to buy from other restaurants and distributors.